Unhealthy People Pleasing
I'm a "People Pleaser" by nature. All my parents had to do to discipline me as a child was give me "the look", and I would behave. Whenever I was told someone wasn't happy with me... in any area, I would overcompensate to an extreme trying to make them happy. I have almost ruined my life... and I HAVE ruined my testimony several times when I was trying to make someone happy with me, and proud of me.
I have realized, that when I work hard for a word of praise from someone and it doesn't come, I am allowing myself to feel unsuccessful, and unworthy, (to people that don't even matter!). Then, as a way to "guard" myself from the feeling of failure (again), I tend to "write off" the people that I can't please.
I still struggle with trying "too hard" to make certain people proud of me.. but as my husband graciously reminds me, I don't need to make THEM happy. Don't get me wrong... I do believe it is right to help people as much as you can.. but there is a difference between helping others, and ruining yourself.
We all have our strengths... and unfortunately our weaknesses. (Hey, you have yours too!) No one is perfect- and I'm okay with that.
Being obsessed about pleasing others.. is actually unhealthy. Here's another article you may find helpful if this is one of your weaknesses (click here).
No comments:
Post a Comment