My son (thankfully) is a super healthy eater.
He even LOVES avocados.
Its common for us to have an avocado with our deli sandwiches,
so I just spruced them up a bit. :D
Any food is better if its Fun Food!
Any food is better if its Fun Food!
Here's how you do it:
Obviously, you will need avocados... One avocado makes two mice.
Cut your avocado in half (hence... the two mice)
You will need to turn your avocado over so the "fleshy" side is up.
On the wider end, (the narrower end of the avocado makes for a better mouse "face"), cut a "V" shape about 1/2 deep.
This is where the tail will go when you turn it back over.
On the wider end, (the narrower end of the avocado makes for a better mouse "face"), cut a "V" shape about 1/2 deep.
This is where the tail will go when you turn it back over.
I slice my avocado up to the skin (but not through the skin) for easier eating (my husband doesn't like his sliced though- so it's really a matter of preference.
We also sprinkle the avocado with Kosher salt.
Now, your ready to turn your avocado back over (salted flesh side down).
A gummy worm fits nicely in the "V" you just made.
Now, the fun part- decorating your mouse! You will need to have candy on hand. I didn't know what I could use to make the ears, so I used a bite-sized Snickers bar, cut in half.
"Curl" the edges a little so they will fit the rounded shape of your mouse.
Use just a little bit of frosting to hold the candy to the outside of the avocado.
I found it worked better when I frosted the candy directly, then placed the
candy on the mouse.
The eyes on my first mouse didn't turn out quite right. (as you can see!) I had tried cutting a large pretzel M&M in half.. it didn't work.
I used regular sized M&M for the eyes of my second mouse-
they worked a LOT better. :D
You can also add a nice touch to the plate by cutting your sandwich
into a cute shape. (unless you are JUST eating your avocado for lunch?)
I didn't know how to make half a sandwich (my son wouldn't eat a WHOLE sandwich AND an avocado!) cute... so he just got the cute mouse.
It wasn't hard, and adding candy to the outside of the mouse didn't take up much time at all. My son was thrilled to have gummy worms with his lunch (we don't eat a lot of candy), so obviously he ate the candy first... oh well.
I will definately be making mice as a side dish to more yummy sandwiches (although probably not the peanut butter and jelly ones!)









No comments:
Post a Comment