Gooey Gift Sauces

For Christmas this past year, I canned some yummy "sauces" 
and gave them as gifts. 



I found the recipes in a Treasury of Christmas
cookbook my mom gave me years ago. 
I didn't try making ALL of these sauces, so I can't vouch for all of them.

I made the Honey Caramel Sauce, The Honey Chocolate Sauce,
and the Gooey Hot Fudge Sauce.

I LOVED the Gooey Hot Fudge Sauce, and the Honey Caramel Sauce was good, but I honestly wasn't a huge fan of the Honey Chocolate Sauce
(I'm still including the recipe though- maybe you'll like it!)


Honey Caramel Sauce
1 cup honey
1 cup evaporated skim milk
1/2 cup butter or margarine
Combine honey, milk and butter in medium saucepan; mix well. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Cook over medium heat 8-10 minutes longer or until mixture thickens and becomes caramel colored. Pour into sterilized gift jars. Keep refrigerated. (Makes 2 cups)

Honey Chocolate Sauce
1 1/2 cups honey
1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
Combine all ingredients; mix well. Cover with waxed paper and microwave at HIGH (100% power) 2 to 2 1/2 minutes, stirring after 1 minute. Pour into sterilized gift jars. Keep refrigerate. (Makes 2 1/2 cups)

Honey Turtle Sauce
2 cups Honey Caramel Sauce (previous recipe)
1 cup Hney Chocolate Sauce (previous recipe)
1/2 to 1 cup broken pecans.
Combine Honey Caramel Sauce, Honey Chocolate Sauce and pecans; mix well. Pur into sterilized gift jars. Keep refrigerated (Makes 3 cups)

Hot Fudge Sauce
1 (6-ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips or 4 (1-ounce) squares semi-sweet chocolate
2 tablespoons margarine or butter
1 (14- ounce) can Sweetened Condensed Milk (NOT evaporated milk)
2 tablespoons of water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
In heavy saucepan, over medum heat, melt chips and margarine with sweetened condensed milk and water. Cook and stir constantly until thickened, about 5 minutes. Add vanilla. Serve warm over ice cream or as a fruit dipping sauce. Refrigerate leftovers. (Makes about 2 cups)

Variations
Mocha: Add 1teaspoon instant coffee with wither, Proceed as directed
Toasted Almond: Omit vanilla extract. Add 1/2 teaspoon almond extract. When sauce is thickened, stir in 1/2 cup chopped toasted almonds.
Choco-Mint: Omit vanilla extract. Add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon peppermint extract


Gooey Hot Fudge Sauce
2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup half and half
1 tablespoon corn syrup
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Melt chocolate and butter with half and half, corn syrup and salt in heavy 2-quart saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat; let stand 10 minute, Stir in vanilla. Serve warm or pour into clean glass jars and seal tightly. Sore up to 6 months in refrigerator. Reheat sauce in double-boiler over hot (not boiling) water before serving, if desired.  (Makes about 1 1/2 cups)



I had never canned anything by myself before, so I attempted to can these. (I figured even if the cans didn't seal well, they are supposed to be refrigerated anyway- so they would still be safe to eat?) 

Most of them canned well except for the Gooey Hot Fudge sauce (I think mostly because the instructions had me cool them down for 10 minutes before I poured them in the can). If you omitted the cooling process, I think they would can just fine. :D 


Sorry I don't have pictures of my whole process... 
(I was focusing on the canning part- remember- I'm a newbie!)

These make great gifts either as one can, or a set of the difference sauces like I have pictured. I figured they would be best used as an Ice Cream topper. 
 (my cookbook didn't specify- weird?... I know!)




No comments:

Post a Comment