The other night, I was sitting down with my husband, discussing the events of the last few days. I was explaining some of my feelings, and how literally- I feel like sometimes, my life is an emotional roller coaster. There’s emotional highs, and there’s emotional lows I deal with. Then, I asked him how he seems to manage to stay so calm during the roller coaster we are on. He kinda chuckled, and blurted out- “I’m not riding a roller coaster- I’m riding a train! A steady train... Sometimes the train goes up the mountain a little, and sometimes it goes down… but all the while, I’m just chugging along.”
He’s a much more stable person than me. He’s my rock. He’s my hero. Two very different people- and two very different perspectives taking us through life. I ride a roller coaster, but he rides a train. I've never ridden a train, but I've ridden my fair share of roller coasters. They are a blast. They are a lot of fun, and they completely wear you out after a couple rides. They jerk you around, make your stomach feel as though it’s going to come out of your throat, send you screaming down a deep dive, through a loop, just to catch your breath and start again. Like I said, roller coasters are a lot of fun… but they can leave a person to feel drained.
It's the same with the emotional roller coasters we ride through life. Climbing the hills- yes, it’s fun, and even barreling downhill is fun… but it’s not steady. It’s not consistent. Then.. the bottom. The bottom always comes eventually. It’s the worst part of a roller coaster- the least fun. You can often catch your breath… but you never want to stay at the bottom of the roller coaster. The bottom of the roller coaster is depressing.
My conversation with him that night brought a favorite Bible verse of mine to my mind.
“Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.” I Corinthians 15:58
We know there are spiritual mountains, and even spiritual valleys in our lives. This is unavoidable. Circumstances change, bad things often happen, causing us to feel like we are in a spiritual valley. It will change- God promises us that.
“But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. God gives us victory.” - I Corinthians 15:57
A train is much more steadfast than a roller coaster. If we get, and keep the mindset of riding a train stead of a roller coaster, our lives will be much more stable. They will be much more solid in the Lord than the emotional roller coaster we often climb onto. Be Steadfast… Always abounding in the work of the Lord.
No comments:
Post a Comment