I love reading (although I never have a lot of time for it), so when I get the chance to read… I’m all over it! I recently read an article about having a “Pain Plan”. It sounds kinda crazy that someone would actually PLAN for pain, but the reality of it is simple. Pain happens. Pain is unavoidable. The article talks about how horrible pain really is, but despite it being a terrible thing to endure, it’s an amazing teacher. Pain happens, and we should be somewhat prepared to face it. Obviously, we will never be able to see too far ahead into our future. that’s not our job. Yes, pain teaches us. At the same time, our own pain that may hurt so deep, can also teach others as well. I've always tried to learn from other people and their pain, in the hopes I wouldn't have to go through some of the same trials.
I was reminded recently how sharing our painful experiences may help other people. Our trials, our struggles, and how we face them may be the encouragement someone else needs to hear so they can face their own struggles. We've become people who are so concerned about what other people may think of us, that we are not willing to share some of our own personal struggles for fear of being judged, unaccepted, or unloved. In reality, there is not one single person who is perfect, who’s reached the stage of perfection here on this earth…
Our perception of circumstances is greatly changed by the circumstances we have 1)personally been through 2)watched/ heard others go through. So, with these thoughts, I want to share some things God has been teaching me through pain. When we've been hurt in the past, we by nature, try to guard ourselves against a similar, painful experience. For instance, my husband and I worked in a church years ago. We loved (and still love) the people. We were loved and needed, we were useful. After a few years, their children came back to work with them, and we really were no longer needed. We were not really even useful. God moved us to a different location. It was a very painful time. Leaving, letting go, and then adjusting into a new ministry. After several years at our new location, fear of our past circumstances came back. I was worried we were no longer needed, and that we were no longer useful. Pain is a powerful thing. Fear is a powerful thing. Together, they are a bad combination. Fear of the unknown is not something God wanted us to have: Joshua 1:9 - Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.
I had to come to a point in my life, despite the pain, despite the fear of the future, that God was in control. Even IF we were no longer needed, no longer useful, I needed to to my very best to serve God, not men. When I was able to put the feelings of uselessness aside (trust me, it was not, and still, even sometimes, is not easy!), God was able to use me in a way I never thought I could be used. Yes, it was extremely painful for several months feeling like I was useless, and like I had been replaced… but that’s not at all what God had intended and planned for me. He had something AMAZING for me to do. I needed to “Stand Still” for a bit, so He could open my eyes for what He had planned. There are several verses in the Bible where we are reminded to wait for the Lord, to wait for His leading in our lives. Lamentations 3:25 - The LORD is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him. Psalms 27:14 - Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.
God may have you in a very similar situation. You may be hurt, you may be afraid of something, you may be worn and weary. He wants you to “Stand Still”, despite the pain or fear you’re in so He can be glorified in other ways. It’s not easy… in fact it’s quite difficult for many of us to simply stand still and wait for God. He has a plan for our lives. He is in fact in control. Romans 8:28 - And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to [his] purpose.
No comments:
Post a Comment