You read that right. It's a roller coaster. Don't get me wrong. I absolutely LOVE being a mother, I LOVE having three little people depend on me. I LOVE seeing three people develop into the person they were created to be... but this role- as a parent is a roller coaster. Sometimes, it feels like a constant roller coaster. We are however, commanded to do our very best at everything we do- including riding this parenting roller coaster.
It’s a Spiritual Roller Coaster.
Sometimes, It seems as though I'm succeeding at my role, and my children are blossoming. Other times, I wonder "where did I go wrong?". The truth is The Bible clearly says in Proverbs 22:15 "Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him." Just like adults, every child has strengths and weaknesses. We often put an, expectation on kids and expect them all to act the same, to be perfect, to learn the same, to control their behavior. In Proverbs 22:6, the Bible says "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." IN THE WAY HE SHOULD GO. Just like we are all made with different abilities, we are all made for a different purpose- a different goal in life. God has a plan for every person. We aren't supposed to force kids to be a mold of someone's ideal child. We are supposed to encourage and help them become what they should... in the the way he should go.
It’s an Emotional Roller Coaster.
There have been times I've had to deal with the consequences of my children making the wrong decisions. It's not fun, it's not pretty, it's actually quite hard. Kids have the astonishing ability to become stubborn at an insanely young age. I don't necessarily believe stubbornness is a bad thing. It can be quite a good characteristic in an adult, but as parents we can't stand it in our kids.
It’s a Physical Roller Coaster.
The constant ups and downs of chasing after kids, playing with kids, pushing them higher on the swing… it’s draining on one’s body! Throw in practices, games, play dates, etc. and by the end of the day I crash. I crash hard. My husband always teases me because I could literally fall asleep anywhere. It doesn't matter where I am, if I’m tired, I can sleep. Maybe it’s a gift? Maybe it’s a curse? I really don’t know… but I do know that this job of parenting full time is exhausting… and it’s a roller coaster. There are good days, and unfortunately, there are bad days. I have days I feel awesome about, and days I feel terrible about.
God doesn't expect us to be perfect. God doesn't expect us to succeed all the time. God does however expect us to give Him our best. Colossians 3:23-24 - And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; 1 Corinthians 10:31 - Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
No comments:
Post a Comment